Friday, May 11, 2018

Chalk ++ Modern Quilts Unlimited

Today I am so excited to show you another of my quilt finishes from last fall! The quilt is called Chalk and it appears in the just published Modern Quilts Unlimited Magazine Issue 23.

Chalk is one of the modern plus sign quilt designs I made for magazines to help spread the word about the Modern Plus Sign Quilts book. The design reminded me a little like the chalk outlines of bodies, so the pattern earned the name "Chalk" :)


I would like to thank Michael Miller for the beautiful fabrics: Cotton Couture solids in magenta and white. The batting was Warm & White by the Warm Company and Aurifil thread was used in the piecing.

I knew that I wanted a large overall curvy quilting design to compliment all of the straight lines in the piecing.  I wanted a very exact repeating design, one that I could not achieve on my domestic machine so I turned to Carol Alperin for her wonderful quilting.  Carol used a repeating curvy design using a light pink thread.  


I had a lot of fun working on this quilt. Chalk was hung in the Modern Quilts Unlimited booth at QuiltCon.

Photo by Paige Alexander

I love the Modern Quilts Unlimited magazine, the magazine is so full of great quilts and inspiration. Check out Modern Quilts Unlimited Issue 23!



18 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love the colour of this quilt and the way the white plus outlines pop right out. Such a clever and appropriate nMe too, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's another really beautiful quilt Cheryl. Those plus signs just keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink!! Magenta! This quilt is so gorgeous! I love how the white stands out from the vibrant pink. Very, very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chalk is stunning and I think there are so many fun ways to play with the color and layout for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilt is stunning!Gorgeous!. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful plus quilt! The curvy quilt compliments sew great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors and the quilting is wonderful. I think the name "Chalk" is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful quilt - that color is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing work, as always. I love the white on magenta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so simple and stunning! I love the pink and I think the quilting motif is just fantastic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last week when I got this issue of MQU, I flipped through it and was just mesmerized by this fabulous quilt! The photograph of it lying on the pristine white bed in the white room was ... breathtaking. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chalk is a great name, and I also think of labyrinths in fancy French gardens! I love the magenta Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt, with a beautiful name. My granddaughter would also love that bright magenta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful. Love the name. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all things pink and also all things simple, well design-wise anyway. This combines both - lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the name for this quilt and it's inspiration. CSI was the SITs favorite show when she was in high school. The pink and white is a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this one Cheryl. The colors, quilting and design....it is all perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have never thought of using magenta as a background colour, but it works with this design so well. Love the bold look. You picked a great name too :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!