Friday, December 22, 2017

Cloud 9 Block Hop Charity Quilts

At long last, I have finally finished the charity quilts made from the 2016 Cloud 9 New Bloggers Block Hop!  I apologize to all of the hop participants for the delay in getting these quilts finished.

I used 24 blocks to make 2 baby quilts, each 36" x 48" and they will be donated to through the Greenville Modern Quilt Guild to the Greenville County Hospital System for children that have been removed from the parents and homes.

Under each picture is a listing of block/designer names and a link to the block tutorials.


Row 1: Star Thistle (Twiggy and Opal), Steady On (Night Quilter)Crossing Stars (CrafTraditions)
Row 2: Berry Fields (Granny Can Quilt)Diamond Fusion (Alice Samuel's Quilt Co), Barcodes (Smiles from Kate)
Row 3: Snowflake Swirl (Sevenoaks Street Quilts), Double Pinwheel (Woodberry Way), (Fenced In (Yellow Cat Quilt Designs)
Row 4: Pinwheel in a Snowball (Kathy's Kwilts and More), Frosted Windowpane (Lighthouse Lane Designs)Abstract Cabin (Brown Paws Quilting)



Row 1: Pointed Star (Said With Love), Urban Intersections (Irene Grimes)Geometric Transparency (Sarah Goer Quilts)
Row 2: Add it Up (This Mom Quilts)Berry Patch Path (Trials of a Newbie Quilter)Improv Star (Orchid Owl Quilts)
Row 3: Mazarin (Hilltop Custom Designs)Berry Patch Plaid (The (not so) Dramatic Life), Star (Adventurous Applique and Quilting)
Row 4: Bordered Square (Handwrought Quilts), Off Hours (Laurel, Poppy, and Pine), Four Square in a Nine Patch (Stitches Quilting)



I wanted to use these quilts to try a new-to-me machine sewn binding technique. 

If I sew the binding on totally by machine (I usually sew them on by hand), I typically sew the binding onto the front of the quilt, glue baste the binding to the back, then sew in the ditch between the quilt top and the binding on the front to (hopefully) catch and stitch down the binding on the back.  I made one of the quilts this way (shown above as the first method).

For the other quilt, I sewed the binding onto the back of the quilt, glue basted the binding to the front of the quilt, then stitched the binding down right at the edge of the binding (second method).  

I found the pros of this second method to be that I did not have to worry about catching the binding on the back like in the previous method.  The one con would be that I like how the corners look more in the first method.

Do you bind your quilts entirely by machine?  Which method do you prefer?

I am linking up with Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts and 





20 comments:

  1. If I machine stitch my binding, I use the second method. Both quilts look great, and thank you so much for putting them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilts! I use the first method for all my bindings - I prefer the look of the binding from the front when I use that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I prefer hand binding, honestly. In the rare occasion that I do machine bind, I use method two except I haven't been glue basting, I just stitch pretty slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the two finishes. Those are such bright and fun quilts for donation. I still prefer to machine stitch the binding to the front than hand sew on the back. I enjoy the hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see the blocks come together! I have used both methods, but mostly used the second method when sewing totally by machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe its been so long since we made these blocks! Binding...I machine stitch to the front and hand stitch to the back. I love having a hand project of some sort or another to do in the evenings...it's rewarding and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl, how lovely to see those blocks again. The two quilts are looking just darling. So it is fair to say that the Cloud 9 blog hop is now well and truly over. =) Thank you again for having hosted it in the first place. Oh and I bind by machine entirely using the Missouri Star Quilt binding tutorial on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the blocks look so good together! Congrats on finishing. I usually either use a flange binding or your option 1 way of binding on the machine. I will have to give option 2 a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both quilts are lovely!! As for binding, I've done both as you say for machine quilting. I like the look of the first method best, as it mimics the look of hand-stitching (which I prefer, except for the extra time it takes). I like option 2 for the reason you say, no missed bits on the back! However, it doesn't have the look of a bound quilt to me, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your two finishes, they look great and are going to a wonderful cause. I have never machine quilted binding I always hand quilt. I think I prefer the sound of the second one though, it sounds safer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of these quilts look great -- good for you for trying something new with the bindings!

    I bind exclusively by machine and almost always attach to the back and finish by sewing directly on the binding on the front, as you did in method #2. I used to glue-baste the entire binding before finishing but have found that I get just as nice results by glue-basting the corners only. (See my method at http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/2016/04/technique-how-i-bind-my-quilts.html)

    I tried to find a close-up pic of my corners but can't find a good one -- arg! I stop and start each time I move to the next edge; I don't pivot. I'm working on a binding right now and will post a pic to Instagram in case the look of my corners appeals to you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilts! You've been busy. There was a book that needed to be written first. I prefer to hand stitch the binding on the back. But I have done it by machine using method 2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually use the first method, but know what you mean by not catching the binding in the back. I almost always use 2 1/2 to make that work and generally it is successful. I feel #1 looks more like hand binding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job finishing up those quilts, many thanks. I'm hardcore #1 all the time. It's fiddly and annoying but I like how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super quilts, and they will be treasured. Binding, I do not hand sew now,and use a flange binding, a thought that I might make the flange the same fabric as the binding, and sew along the seam with the hemmer foot as usual. Merry Christmas to you all at your home, have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They turned our great Cheryl!! I love seeing everyone’s blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice. If needing the binding done quickly, and hand stitching is not fast enough, I use your second method.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cool is this to see the block I made appear in a finished quilt. Thank you for making my day. Happy New Year. I always machine sew binding to the front of the quilt and hand sew it down on the back. I love this method and enjoy a fabulous feeling of accomplishment while I put the finishing touches to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilts look great Cheryl. I quite often fully machine bind and now always use the second method - much prefer to see where I am stitching on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilts turned out beautifully. Well done. I machine bind -- sew to the back first and then to the front. Takes so much less time than hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!